top of page
  • Writer's pictureCosmo DiSchino

Understanding Baldness: The Quest for a Cure and Latest Developments

Baldness is a common concern that affects many individuals, and finding a cure for it has been challenging due to various factors at play. While the search for a permanent solution continues, researchers have made significant progress in understanding the causes of baldness and exploring potential avenues for treatment.

In this article, we will delve into the reasons why a cure for baldness remains elusive, examine the latest developments in research, and discuss existing treatments that can help slow down or reverse hair loss.

Why is there no cure for baldness?

The complexity of baldness arises from a combination of genetic, environmental, and hormonal factors. Researchers have identified over 200 genetic elements that contribute to pattern balding, not to mention the influence of hormones and the environment.

Male pattern baldness, in particular, is influenced by factors such as dihydrotestosterone (DHT), gender, genetics, age, ethnicity, and even the impact of COVID-19. With 79% of male baldness being hereditary, nonshared environmental effects account for the remaining 21% of cases. This complexity makes it challenging to develop a cure that addresses all the contributing factors necessary to prevent progressive balding permanently.

Latest developments in curing baldness:

While a definitive cure for baldness is not on the horizon, recent research has shed light on potential breakthroughs that could pave the way for future treatments.

How "caveman genes" contribute to hair loss:

A study conducted in January 2023 identified certain genes, referred to as "caveman genes," that may explain why humans have lost hair compared to other mammals. Although this research does not directly seek to find a cure for hair loss, it provides valuable insights into the evolutionary impact on human hair, which may eventually contribute to the development of a cure.

Stem cells, hair follicles, and the TGF-beta protein:

Stem cell therapy holds promise for unlocking a cure for hair loss. Stem cells have the ability to transform into different cell types or divide to produce more stem cells, aiding in the body's regeneration and repair process. Hair follicles are the only cells in the human body that continuously regenerate, regardless of damage. Researchers have discovered the role of a protein called TGF-beta in follicle development and death. If scientists can determine how this protein activates cell division, it may be possible to stimulate follicle stem cells artificially, potentially leading to a cure for baldness.

Stress and hair growth activation proteins:

A study in December 2021 found a link between chronic stress and hair loss. Researchers discovered that removing the adrenal glands in mice, which produce cortisol during stressful situations, improved hair growth. Cortisol suppresses an essential hair growth protein called Gas6. While adrenal gland removal is not a viable solution for humans, understanding the relationship between stress and hair loss opens up avenues for developing treatments that mitigate the impact of cortisol on hair follicles.

Gene editing for androgenetic alopecia:

In a 2020 study, researchers used a gene editing technology called CRISPR/Cas9 to modify genes associated with hair loss. While this approach has shown promise in animal studies, the ethical implications of gene editing and the need for further research delay its widespread application as a cure for baldness.

Hair beads for regenerating lost hair cells:

Japanese researchers proposed a method involving "hair beads," collagen-enriched cell aggregates, which could be transplanted into bald patches to regenerate lost hair cells. Although this technique is still in the early stages of development and hasn't been tested on humans, it lays the groundwork for further investigation.

If you're dealing with hair loss and looking for help, don't hesitate to reach out to the hair experts at Cosmo & Company Hair Salon in West Palm Beach. Our experienced professionals understand the complexities of hair and can provide personalized advice. Call (561) 833-7411
bottom of page